The presence of algae says a lot about the water quality. If algae keep coming back, it’s high time to use the best pool algaecide. Read here to know more!
You know there is trouble in the pool water once the color turns either green, yellow-mustard, or even black. You see the culprit of this change is none other than algae.
Pool algae can attack your pool without you noticing the early signs. Algae can enter your pool through swimming outfits, wind, or even objects such as children’s toys. And once they started growing, they can be a real headache.
If algae are so stubborn and keep coming back, don’t get shy and seek the help of the best pool algaecide.
Comparison Table: 5 Top Rated Pool Algaecide
|Pool RX Algaecide Treats|
|In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide|
|HTH Super Algae Guard|
|CLOROX XtraBlue Pool and Spa Algaecide|
|Eclipse3 Granular/Powder Algaecide|
- Comparison Table: 5 Top Rated Pool Algaecide
- What Is Algaecide And How Does It Work?
- The Best Pool Algaecide Reviews
- How To Get Rid Of Pool Algae With A Power Washer
What Is Algaecide And How Does It Work?
Algaecides are chemical compounds made of usually copper chelates or copper sulfate with a central atom of a metal (although non-copper formulation has also been a popular option). This chemical works to disrupt the growth of algae by preventing cellular processes. Research has yet to conclude how exactly do algaecide do that but theories include through cell division or stopping the cell protein synthesis.
But one thing is clear though— algaecide works. However, the science of how exactly it works is still unclear.
The Best Pool Algaecide Reviews
1. Pool RX Algaecide Treats
This single packed pool algaecide is the best algaecide for salt pool. It can eliminate all types of algae and provides algae protection for 6 months total.
People love this algaecide as it is easy to use and no need for measurement. Just utilize a single pack for a pool that holds 7,500 to 20,000 gallons of water.
Users of this product vouch for its effectiveness, saying it instantly makes the pool water invisible that you cannot resist but take a dip.
- This is compatible for pools with saltwater generator as this does not interrupt the generator’s system.
- The pool requires less maintenance after using the Pool RX.
- It also balances the water’s chemistry.
- Suitable for green and yellow algae
- If you don’t have a lot of time and want to simplify your pool cleaning task, this algaecide does the job for you.
- Saves you a lot of cash since a single pack equals 6 months of algae protection.
- You need about 24 hours for the pool water to be completely clear and safe for swimming.
- The pool’s mineral level soar high after using this algaecide, so a greenish tint might stick to blonde hair or white clothing.
- Can cause the pool filter to turn green, but this can be remedied by gently washing and brushing the filter.
2. In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide
In The Swim is a popular brand of algaecide and is consistently included on the list of best pool algaecide for yellow algae. Still, this product can also tackle green and black algae. In fact, its fast-acting formulation kills algae immediately that it is safe to swim after a few hours of using the algaecide.
The best thing about In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide is that it is a non-foaming chemical. It is made of 23.5 percent Copper Triethanolamine Complex, which serves as its active ingredients.
- You only need 2 ounces of this algaecide to clear 10,000 gallons of pool water as maintenance while 4 ounces is recommended for a start-up use.
- It can eliminate 99% of algae except for the ones in the hard-to-reach corners which need a little bit of vacuuming or brushing.
- This leaves your pool water smelling clean, crystal clear, and crisp.
- It doesn’t only kill algae but also prevents future growth.
- This one is quite strong, so you need to dilute it with water first.
- You should not use it with well water.
- This can’t be shipped to California due to the state restrictions.
3. HTH Super Algae Guard
One of our top picks is this super algae guard by HTH. HTH is a brand trusted by consumers when it comes to cleaning solutions. This is an all-around algaecide that kills and prohibits the growth of all types of algae, specifically green, yellow, and black algae.
This is a concentrated solution that is packed with 60% strength so that algae can be killed into its roots. If you want a 4-in-1 pool algaecide that balances water, sanitizes it, as well as shock and prevent algae growth, then we highly recommend this best-rated pool algaecide by HTH.
- Its active ingredients are proven to be strong and powerful algae killer.
- If you have a salt generator in your pool, then HTH Super Algae Guard is compatible to use.
- This is also a non-foaming formula, so shorter waiting time to use the pool after cleaning.
- An excellent pool algaecide for both remedial and preventive measures.
- You’d be glad to know that this is a copper-free algaecide, so it does not stain pool surfaces at all.
- Doesn’t damage the pool while still doing its job of killing nasty algae.
- You have to keep the filter running for 8 to 12 hours when using this algaecide.
- Product instructions have to be strictly followed to make the most of the product’s effectiveness.
- This is a bit pricey compare to other best algaecide for pool on the list.
4. CLOROX XtraBlue Pool and Spa Algaecide
For a fast yet effective pool algae cleaning, trust only a powerful, all-in-one algaecide. Clorox offers a smart approach to keeping your pool water clean and algae-free.
This non-foaming algaecide solution contains 3.3 percent copper, a small amount enough to prevent the cell processes of algae. If you own a pool that holds 25,000 gallons of water, then Clorox XtraBlue Pool and Spa Algaecide is the perfect solution for you. Its 40-ounce pack is the perfect amount needed to effectively kill all types of algae without staining the pool.
This is the best inground pool algaecide as claimed by many of its users.
- This is a multi-function pool algaecide and is actually the best pool algaecide for black algae because of its strength.
- Perfect for both inground and aboveground pools, aiming another praise as the best swimming pool algaecide.
- Not only does it remove algae, it also eliminates bacteria and contaminants present in the water.
- This is offered at a reasonable price and is available to almost all stores and online.
- This doesn’t work so well with green algae.
- It is best to apply it to the pool near the evening as the sunlight can hinder the solution’s strength.
- You need to wait overnight before using the pool.
5. Eclipse3 Granular/Powder Algaecide
Eclipse3 is popular pool water clarifying agents but what not many people know is that it also has an efficient algaecide line. Introducing the Eclipse3 Algae Control. This is in granule or powder form which maintains the water’s balance, clarifies it, as controls algae.
While some algaecide solutions are best for remedial purposes, this is voted as the best preventive pool algaecide by a lot of users.
- This is a copper-based solution with 13% copper components.
- It is really strong and can penetrate through the algae’s cells, thus killing them for good.
- You only need to use a small amount for both start-up and maintenance dosage.
- No worries about salt generator as this works well with this type of pool.
- The pool water is sparkly, crystal clear, and clean after using the product.
- The copper content is high, so be careful when using as it may stain the pool surfaces.
- Gloves and other protection are advised as this can cause skin irritation.
6. RX Clear Swimming Pool Algaecide
The problem with other algaecide is that it foams when the solution is doing its job, thus sometimes leaving white residue all throughout the water. Well, you do not have to worry about that with this amazing non-foaming algaecide. This is a polymer algaecide that kills algae effectively minus the residue.
A lot of people love this pool algaecide because it is a reliable swimming pool algaecide solution that is easy to use and works fast. Just pour the solution into the pool, run your pool filter, and wait.
- This is proven to be effective in eliminating yellow, green, and black algae.
- Since this does not leave any foam or white residue, the pool can be used for swimming immediately.
- It is also safe to use in warm water, so even if you use it during the daytime, no worries.
- You only need 4 ounces of the solution to clear 10,000 gallons of pool water.
- This is a hazardous chemical that is toxic to all organism.
- It can also irritate the skin, so make sure to wear gloves during application.
- May foam a lot of you use more than the recommended dosage.
How To Get Rid Of Pool Algae With A Power Washer
You are probably wondering, “How can I pressure wash algae in the pool?”
The thing is that algae do not only grow in the pool. They can also spread through the pool’s outside surfaces. In this case, you need the help of a reliable pressure washer to save time for cleaning.
If the pool algae start to get out of control and already made their way to the pool sides (this usually happens when the owner leaves the house for weeks or months), a pressure washer is of great help.
Here are the steps on how to effectively eliminate pool algae using a pressure washer:
- Use a non-foaming and non-staining pool algaecide and apply it to the affected areas.
- If the algae are thick and stubborn, leave the solution overnight, or you can apply it first thing in the morning and rinse it by night time.
- Set up your power washer (a medium-duty pressure washer unit is enough for this task), and start spraying water using a narrow-angle nozzle tip attachment (0 or 15-degree). The narrower the angle of the water spray, the more it can penetrate into the algae, thus promoting further cell division.
- If the algae leave stains on the pool’s surface, get a brush and brush the stain away. Don’t be too harsh as you don’t want to damage your pool’s surface as well.
All these 6 products on our list are best pool algaecide that received great feedback and reviews from a lot of users. However, if I were to choose the best one, I’d recommend the Pool RX Algaecide Treats.
Pool RX Algaecide Treats offers great value for money. It is a high-quality and effective algaecide solution that contains well-balanced mineral and active ingredient formulation. It also targets all types of algae and is effective for about 6 months. Plus, it’s also compatible with saltwater pool.